Tue, Oct 08|
AIA NEI Cantigny Park Garden & Grounds Tour
Time & Location
Oct 08, 2019, 8:30 AM – 1:30 PM
Cantigny Park, 1 S 151 Winfield Road, Wheaton, IL 60189, USA
About the event
Join AIA Northeast Illinois on October 8 at Cantigny Park in Wheaton, IL for a tour led by Horticulture Design Manager, Craig Kruckenberg, RLA. You will have the opportunity to tour the 29 acres of Cantigny gardens and get an in-depth look at the landscaping and what design components are incorporated within the grounds. In addition to the gardens, attendees will also have the opportunity to have a guided tour through the McCormick House, built in 1896. Attendees will be able to explore how Colonel McCormick lived with his family from 1936 to 1955. You will be immersed in McCormick’s legacy of journalism, history, architecture, politics, First Amendment issues, patriotism and philanthropy. You do not want to miss this tour. Come enjoy the peace of nature with AIANEI at Cantigny Park!
Guided Landscape Tour of the Parks and Gardens: 9:00-10:00am
Guided Tour of McCormick House: 10:00-11:45am
Lunch in Le Jardin: Following Tour (Included with cost of event)
- Analyze the environmental report/landscaping plans on the current Cantigny Land conditions, such as drainage and energy use
- Review the arrangement of existing and proposed land features and structures
- Review the Cantigny grounds sustainability features such as drought resistant grasses or indigenous plants, rainfall runoff solutions, and review the components that are incorporated with their achieved designation as a certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary. In addition to the gardens sustainability functions attendees will also have a chance to view the Cantigny Outdoor Education Center, a LEED Silver Building, with features such as operable and clerestory windows, high-efficiency plumbing fixtures, xeriscape landscaping, bioswales for stormwater management and recycled and low-VOC building materials.
- Review the steps within the Cantigny Park Five-Year Revitalization Plans, New Leaf. Review the dramatic landscape architecture changes since the park opened in 1958, including new display gardens, with existing gardens being renewed and some even being relocated. Go over the design details that are going into enhancing vistas and sightlines and how this revitalization will “open up” Cantigny and unify its elements within the park.
- Review the landscape architectural design that was originally created by Frank Lipp, Renowned landscape architect, in the 1960s and 70s and how components of Lipps vision were incorporated into the new designs throughout the grounds.
Price: Members: $30 Non-Members: $40
This program has been approved for 2 Learning Units.