Prairie Grassroots Lobby Day will be Tuesday, March 28, 2017
Quality Time, As Always
It's important for architects to make their presence felt at the state capitol--because government officials listen to their constituents. Take one day out of the office to ensure new bills and policies have a positive impact on your business, and to hear from the agencies that implement the regulations and laws that affect you.
- Pre-Day conference call (choose best time for you from multiple choices - Coming Soon) to quickly get up to speed on the 3-4 issues we'll lobby
- Don't drive--network! Free, early morning bus/van pick-up at two locations: Chicago/Merchandise Mart and Joliet, thanks to AIA Chicago and AIA Northeast Chapters
- Luncheon includes a how-to-lobby lesson and guest speakers, thanks to our sponsor Holmes Murphy
- Two hour window in the afternoon for coordinated visits with legislators and agency officials
- Legislator of the Year (hearty) Reception at Resource One, thanks to our sponsor Knoll
- You're only out of the office protecting your business for one day
CURIOUS about the Prairie Grassroots experience? Watch the video below which explains how the day goes and shares the impressions of several first-time and long-time participants.
We're so glad you're coming to share your viewpoint with your elected and agency officials! You'll be joined by a record number of attendees. Our combined chorus is louder (and perhaps more beautiful?) than our single voices, but every single voice is important.
2017 ISSUES - Based on a survey of AIA Illinois members currently underway, we will soon have a list of legislative issues important to the profession and our partners. Coming Soon.
Click here for a Google map to events
Free parking is available at lunch and reception locations. Both the Capitol and the Reception are within walking distance.
PRAIRIE GRASSROOTS SCHEDULE
Before 9 am Free Bus/Van Pick Up at Two Locations:
Chicago: Pickup at the Merchandise Mart at 7:45 a.m.
Joliet: Pickup at the Park and Stop off I-55 Exit 257 at 9:00 a.m.
Sponsored by AIA Chicago and AIA Northeast
11:30 am Registration at Statehouse Inn, 101 East Adams, Springfield
Noon - 2 pm Legislative & Issues Briefing at Statehouse Inn,
Sponsored by Holmes Murphy
2 - 4 pm Legislative Visits
4 - 6 pm Legislator of the Year Reception at Resource One, 321 E Adams St, Springfield
Sponsored by Knoll
6 pm Free transportation departs
TIPS FOR PUTTING YOUR BEST FOOT FORWARD
Review protocol and best practices of citizen lobbying using our Architect's Guide to the Capitol.
Bring business cards to add to the issue materials AIA Illinois will provide to you, as a leave-behind for your legislators.
Present yourself not only as a constituent, but as a partner for collaboration. Legislators always have people asking for help. You'd be amazed by how presenting yourself as a resource will be enthusiastically received and set your visit apart.
Relax and be yourself. Remember--your senator and representative work for you. They care what you think, and they want to know about you and your profession.
Take pictures during the day and post to your social media accounts using the hashtags #ilookup and #AIAILPG17.